Thursday, November 5, 2009

My First Reading...

I have never, ever been into astrology and horoscopes and fortunes. My fortune cookies only sport a 3% accuracy rate at best. I read them for fun, then forget about them 10 minutes later. (See, if horoscopes were written for the week prior than I might actually be able to get you better statistics on if they actually work or not.


But as many know, my husband and I have been throwing around the idea of having another little spitting image of ourselves born into this world for about six months now. And we continue to hesitate alittle bit on if we should or shouldn't have one. We're also firstborns, so every decision is usually the result of rationalization in our Type A brains.

Hence in the light of things going on we've continued to put it off. And I've consulted the Magic 8 balls in stores, the man upstairs, horoscopes, my team of doctors and now...an astrologer as proof to my husband that we should have another one.


I consulted Dabney Oliver who does the horoscopes for Parent's Magazine. She does astrology readings for moms, babies and children. 'If anyone would be well connected with the possibility of knowing if another baby was in the cards, it would be her' I thought. Dabney has worked in this line of work for 10 years and has centered her focus on moms and children for the last 3-4 years.

On the phone, I instantly liked her. She was casual, comfortable, and explained things to me in an easy to understand way. My knowledge of astrology goes about as far as I know am a Gemini and considered a twin, but have no idea what that means. Dabney was great to explain the meaning behind my name and some of the characteristics associated with me. Many were dead on. I was told I have the type of personality that was always wanting to move onto the next thing. I bore easily and am not the most organized person at times. And I'm always looking around the next corner. BINGO! I was also told that I am a nurturer and enjoy taking care of people. (I worked in the medical field for 10+ years and loved it because I got to serve--something she wouldn't have known before our reading).

Other things she said I felt were easy generalizations to pull from me. 'You are a person that likes to read, write and communicate. (You can get that one if you're reading this right now). And some things really didn't seem very applicable to me and my personality at all.

It wasn't until we got into the deeper stuff and she asked me if I had any questions that I really saw how powerful astrology could be. Mind you, I'm an astrology virgin here, and had no idea what was going on. Several times she had to remind me nicely that she wasn't a psychic. Darn! That might be my next one.

She could tell that there had been some conflict in our family in the past and even currently. Something I never eluded too in my conversation with her. She also spoke of my feeling the weight of the world rested on my shoulders. "Another generalization' I thought, but then she started explaining how it was connected to my family. My jaw dropped. Dead on again.

And towards the end I hesitantly asked her about a third baby. And what she told me was something that I've already known for a long time.

And she said that December would be a great month for my relationships, especially with my spouse. After this month, I sure hope so! We could use a break in the 'marital trials' department.

Thanks to Dabney for her patience with me and allowing me to share my reading with you. For more information on Dabney, head to her website http://www.astrocutie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment