Thursday, January 21, 2010

Lemon Yogurt Muffins

Every Sunday at our house we enjoy a break from the traditional cold cereal or hot oatmeal and stop to enjoy a delicious breakfast together as a family. It's been a tradition since I was a little girl. (Although we usually opted for Dey's doughnuts down the street from my house in California). Yes, my parents were vegetarian and vegan to a point. Sunday mornings included a break to enjoy breakfast at Mother's Market, a slightly rebellious trip to enjoy the Marie Calendar's breakfast buffet, or if they really wanted, it was a trip to Dey's. (You could smell them cooking from our house).

I like to try new recipes, and this one honestly was a throw together. I had a lemon leftover and didn't know what to do with it. My solution? Make lemon yogurt muffins with it of course!



LEMON YOGURT MUFFINS

Muffins:

Ingredients


1/2 cup unsalted butter

2 cups unbleached white flour (I used King Arthur)

1 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 large eggs, beaten

1 cup sour cream (I used fat-free)

1/4 cup lemon juice (I used fresh lemon juice, but storebought would be fine)

1 lemon, juice and zest of

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°.

Grease muffin tins.

Melt the butter and let cool.

Thoroughly mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Whisk together the eggs and sour cream in a smaller bowl.

Stir in the butter, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and zest and juice of lemon.

Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.

Add wet ingredients and mix with as few strokes as possible.

Don't overmix.

Spoon batter into muffin tins.

Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.

Icing:

1 cup lemon yogurt (I used fat free)

1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar (I used Hain's Organic Powdered Sugar)

Mix together until smooth, pipe over cooled muffins.

3 comments:

  1. Just popping over from MomBlogNetwork :) This recipes sounds so yummy, I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete