Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Case for Yoga

I'm a bonafide tomgirl. Exercise is running, working up a sweat, kickboxing, things like that.
Not yoga.

However, my runs lately have been plagued by sore Achille's afterwards and I knew something had to give. My neighbor who teaches yoga has encouraged me to come out and try her class. And everyone else in my neighborhood who takes her class encouraged me.

After about a year, I finally did.

No surprise to me that I can't touch my toes. (And am convinced I never will). But I will never underestimate the power of a workout that my own body can give me. I don't need weights to feel like I'm going to die. My bodyweight gives me a great workout. I've never felt so much pain in my entire life that was self afflicted. And I don't think I've EVER shot my instructor dirtier looks than during yoga. (I've had to stop though because I think she sees the dirty looks I shoot her as motivation to make the workout even harder).

However after a couple of months I noticed something. My achilles didn't hurt as much anymore when I ran. And for that, I'll continue. And yes, if you attend you'll hear an occasional laugh or swear word out of me when they do some crazy "therapeutic" breathing exercise that sounds like a herd of elephants who just finished running a marathon landed in our class.

But it's a great way to get to know your neighbors. I highly encourage attending a class with fellow neighbors. You really get to know them a lot better. It's entertaining to hear them make sarcastic comments about certain exercises and talk about what is going on in their lives'. And hopefully they don't hear how much swearing I do under my breath during the course of a yoga workout.

The case for yoga is settled in my tomgirl 'sports only' world. Yes, it is a workout, but not a sweaty kick your butt workout. A couple times a week is enough for me. I can't handle the pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment